You know those great finds you itch to tell your friends about? That’s how our dental team at The Center For Holistic Dental Medicine feels about dental ozone therapy. This minimally invasive procedure has many uses in dentistry, including eliminating bacteria and treating tooth decay. The next time you visit our Red Bank, New Jersey office, talk to Dr. Glenn MacFarlane to find out how ozone therapy can improve your oral health.
What is ozone therapy?
Ozone is an energized form of oxygen popular with dentists because of its antimicrobial properties. Ozone offers numerous therapeutic benefits in dentistry, owing to its antioxidant effects on bacteria, viruses, and other disease-causing organisms.
These pathogens have few, if any, antioxidant enzymes, which make them easily destroyable by the oxidizing potential of ozone. When we expose viruses and other pathogens to ozone, they almost die immediately. On the other hand, healthy cells remain intact, thanks to their antioxidant enzymes.
Uses of ozone therapy in dentistry
Whether applied in the form of gas, ozonated water, or oil, ozone has numerous uses in dentistry. In our office, ozone is integral in many treatments, including:
- Cavity treatment: You don’t have to undergo cavity-filling treatment when you have tiny cavities. Ozone can permeate tiny grooves in your teeth to destroy pathogens causing tooth decay. Besides, ozone can help your enamel to calcify, eliminating minor cavities
- Root canal treatment: We can use ozone therapy to clean the root canals of infected teeth without requiring invasive, mechanical cleaning
- Periodontal care: Ozone antioxidant properties and ability to alter the optimal environment of pathogens make it ideal for eliminating gum disease-causing bacteria
- Tooth sensitivity: Worn-down teeth can be extremely sensitive to hot and cold drinks. Ozone can remineralize your enamel to minimize tooth sensitivity
Is ozone safe?
Ozone isn’t new in medicine. Medical practitioners have used ozone to treat various diseases over the years. Ozone is a naturally-occurring element used to deliver safe treatments without side effects.
Benefits of ozone therapy
Traditional treatments can treat dental problems, but as with all medicine, innovations provide an alternative approach to dentistry. Ozone therapy is one such advancement, which is why dentists and patients are falling in love with it.
- Non-invasive: No one feels excited about visiting a dentist, especially if you know you need a filling or root canal. Often, these procedures can be painful and take days to recover from. Thanks to ozone dentistry, you don’t have to dread dental visits. This method makes dentistry painless and non-invasive
- Speeds up healing: Ozone therapy stimulates blood circulation and oxygenation to enhance recovery
- Anti-bacterial properties: Ozone kills harmful pathogens for a cleaner, healthier mouth. Ozone not only kills bad bacteria but also alters the surrounding environment to prevent further bacterial growth
- Ideal for children: Ozone therapy is ideal for patients of all ages, including children. This therapy involves no drilling or anesthesia shots, keeping children calm while the dentist works on them
Ozone therapy is a holistic treatment that fits our philosophy of addressing dental problems with minimal invasiveness.
If you want to see how ozone therapy can benefit your smile in Red Bank, NJ, please call (732) 517-7785 to schedule an appointment with The Center For Holistic Dental Medicine.
Share this Article