Ozone is an energized form of oxygen that is made using precision equipment in our office and offers our patients a safe, natural way to eliminate pathogens (bad bugs!) in their mouths.
There are several therapeutic benefits to ozone therapy; each stemming from the powerful oxidative effect ozone has on bad bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, and protozoans. These microorganisms have cell walls that are easily permeated by ozone’s oxidative power. When bacteria and other disease-causing microbes are treated with ozone, they rupture and die almost immediately. Healthy cells, due to their antioxidant enzymes, remain unscathed by the introduction of ozone. We utilize ozone in 3 ways: in gas, ozonated water, or ozonated oil form
Ozone can be incorporated into treatments for a number of oral health concerns, including:
- Dental Caries (decay) Ozone can be used to arrest dental decay and promote remineralization and recalcification of the tooth. Repair can be made with a mercury-free restorative. Future dental decay can be prevented utilizing trays to cover all the teeth and flood them with ozone gas.
- Tooth Sensitivity Teeth that have become worn or weak can feel sensitive to hot and cold. Ozone, destroys the acids bacteria produce and disrupts bacterial niches, helping to relieve sensitivity. Although the exact mechanism of ozone helping tooth sensitivity is not yet fully understood, patients routinely report lessened tooth sensitivity after treatment.
- Periodontal (Gum) Disease Gum disease is a problem that stems from oral bacteria and your immune response. Ozone can be used to treat and manage gum disease. The by-product of harmful pathogen waste is acid-laden plaque. That plaque causes inflammation to the gums and opens a passageway to your entire body through the bloodstream. Plaque in your arteries is the same plaque found in your mouth. It can ultimately lead to a heart attack, stroke, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, other vascular diseases, birth defects and pregnancy issues.
- Viral Lesions Ozone can be used to treat Herpes (cold sores) and oral ulcers.
- Sinusitis and TMJ dysfunction Ozone is a wonderful addition to many dental treatments. Natural, safe, and effective, energized oxygen achieves excellent results with no risk of allergic reaction or contraindication.
Dr. MacFarlane has been certified by the American College of Integrative Medicine and Dentistry in the use of Ozone for all oral treatments. Experience the benefits of ozone and our holistic dental care in our Red Bank, NJ office. Call (732) 530-4020 for your appointment today.